West Ham MP Lyn Brown urges Labour voters to make up their own minds in mayoral candidate vote
- Credit: Lyn Brown
Lyn Brown has praised mayoral hopeful Cllr Rokhsana Fiaz but encouraged Labour members to make up their own minds about to who to vote for as the party’s candidate.
Cllr Fiaz and Sir Robin Wales were confirmed this morning as the only candidates on the party’s shortlist.
Ms Brown provided a reference for Cllr Fiaz, who she has been friends with since 2005 after the two women aimed to be Labour’s candidate for West Ham in that year’s general election.
She called her an “intelligent” and “amazing” person, but encouraged party members to decide themselves who they would rather see contest the seat.
“The Labour Party electorate in Newham are sophisticated and intelligent,” she said.
“They know these two candidates and will know themselves if they think it is time for change or not.
“They do not need me to patronise them by telling them who I am going to vote for.”
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 7 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 8 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 9 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
She described both shortlisted candidates as “very gifted people” and added: “I will work with whoever gets selected and campaign for their election.
“Whoever is elected as mayor in May I will work with to the benefit of the West Ham constituency.”
The vote to select Labour’s mayoral candidate will open to eligible party members on Thursday, March 1. The mayoral elections will be on May 3.