West Ham MP Lyn Brown urges Labour voters to make up their own minds in mayoral candidate vote
- Credit: Lyn Brown
Lyn Brown has praised mayoral hopeful Cllr Rokhsana Fiaz but encouraged Labour members to make up their own minds about to who to vote for as the party’s candidate.
Cllr Fiaz and Sir Robin Wales were confirmed this morning as the only candidates on the party’s shortlist.
Ms Brown provided a reference for Cllr Fiaz, who she has been friends with since 2005 after the two women aimed to be Labour’s candidate for West Ham in that year’s general election.
She called her an “intelligent” and “amazing” person, but encouraged party members to decide themselves who they would rather see contest the seat.
“The Labour Party electorate in Newham are sophisticated and intelligent,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“They know these two candidates and will know themselves if they think it is time for change or not.
“They do not need me to patronise them by telling them who I am going to vote for.”
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
She described both shortlisted candidates as “very gifted people” and added: “I will work with whoever gets selected and campaign for their election.
“Whoever is elected as mayor in May I will work with to the benefit of the West Ham constituency.”
The vote to select Labour’s mayoral candidate will open to eligible party members on Thursday, March 1. The mayoral elections will be on May 3.