West Ham MP Lyn Brown urges Labour voters to make up their own minds in mayoral candidate vote
- Credit: Lyn Brown
Lyn Brown has praised mayoral hopeful Cllr Rokhsana Fiaz but encouraged Labour members to make up their own minds about to who to vote for as the party’s candidate.
Cllr Fiaz and Sir Robin Wales were confirmed this morning as the only candidates on the party’s shortlist.
Ms Brown provided a reference for Cllr Fiaz, who she has been friends with since 2005 after the two women aimed to be Labour’s candidate for West Ham in that year’s general election.
She called her an “intelligent” and “amazing” person, but encouraged party members to decide themselves who they would rather see contest the seat.
“The Labour Party electorate in Newham are sophisticated and intelligent,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“They know these two candidates and will know themselves if they think it is time for change or not.
“They do not need me to patronise them by telling them who I am going to vote for.”
- 1 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 2 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 6 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 9 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 10 School in Stratford unveils mural tribute to Marcus Rashford
She described both shortlisted candidates as “very gifted people” and added: “I will work with whoever gets selected and campaign for their election.
“Whoever is elected as mayor in May I will work with to the benefit of the West Ham constituency.”
The vote to select Labour’s mayoral candidate will open to eligible party members on Thursday, March 1. The mayoral elections will be on May 3.