West Ham MP Lyn Brown comes out in support of Rokhsana Fiaz as Newham’s mayor
- Credit: Lyn Brown
Lyn Brown has reluctantly come forward to pledge her support for one of Newham Labour’s mayoral candidates.
In a letter to members of the Labour Party, the West Ham MP praised “the amazingly intelligent, compassionate, caring” councillor Rokhsana Fiaz.
She expressed her reluctance at taking sides, but after East Ham MP Stephen Timms vocalised his support for Sir Robin Wales, she said she “cannot go on any longer without making my personal view clear”.
She said: “I cannot allow people to believe Rokhsana does not have support throughout our local party.
“I think that Rokhsana is an amazingly intelligent, compassionate, caring, energetic woman, with vast amounts of integrity, who would be an absolte asset as the Mayor of Newham.
You may also want to watch:
“She will listen to people, make herself available to people, and carve people-focused solutions to the difficulties that we face.”
She said it was patronising to tell Labour supporters who to vote for, but admitted “strong negative campaigning” within the party had forced her hand.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford