Temperatures set to soar for the Mayor’s Newham Show and Newham Carnival
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor’s Newham Show is set to be a hot ticket today as temperatures look set to hit 30 degrees over the weekend.
Free drinking water and sun cream will handed out to residents attending the first day of the annual show which opens today at 12pm in Central Park, East Ham.
The free two-day event will entertain the crowds with live music, sports, carbaret, Jamie Oliver’s Ministry of Food competitions and the popular Newham beach is back again along with a host of seaside activities such as donkey rides, a paddling pool, and a helter skelter.
Hundreds of people are also expected to line the streets of East Ham in anticipation of the Newham Carnival which snakes its way from Rancliffe Road from 2pm to make its way into the Show itself around an hour later.
This year, the Carnival will feature props from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies while Newham’s lollipop men and women will march alongside the route to celebrate 60 years of the school crossing service in London.
You may also want to watch:
Other attractions include a village fete, live music and cabaret, sports, food from around the world and a children’s area.
Children’s TV presenters Sid Sloane and Andy Day will be in action on the main stage throughout the day while the children’s stage also features performances from Mr Mojo, the Cosmic Sausages, and schoolchildren from the Every Child a Musician programme.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 5 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 9 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
Mayor Sir Robin Wales said: “Newham does more than any other borough to provide opportunities for people to get together and this year is no different.
“The Mayor’s Newham Show is one of my highlights for the year and this will be a fantastic weekend with an exciting programme of free entertainment that the whole family can enjoy.
“I encourage all residents to come along and make it an event to remember. I am really looking forward to meeting them there.”
Due to the blazing sunshine and soaring temperatures, health chiefs advise visitors to bring plenty of water, use sun scream, wear a hat, and seek shade wherever possible, avoiding the midday sun in particular.
Keep visiting www.newhamrecorder.co.uk for pictures and videos throughout the weekend, follow @NewhamRecorder on Twitter for live updates, and buy Wednesday’s newspaper to read full coverage of the Show.
The Mayor’s Newham Show opens from 12pm to 6pm at Central Park, Central Park Road, East Ham today.