Stratford scoops two London Planning Awards at City Hall
- Credit: Archant
Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park scooped the Mayor of London’s award for Planning Excellence at City Hall yesterday while Westfield Stratford City was highly commended.
Boris Johnson personally selected the centrepiece of the London 2012 Olympic Games as his favourite entry at the London Planning Awards.
The 102 hectare site is the largest new urban park in London promising thousands of new homes and jobs.
Its transformation was not easy as the original brownfield site was also one of the most contaminated in the capital containing a post-war munitions dump, battery, and match making factories as well as 52 electricity pylons, neglected waterways, and a ‘Fridge Mountain’.
Mayor Johnson said: “This award is for every one of the thousands of people and organisations who have contributed to the overwhelming success of the Olympic Park design.
You may also want to watch:
“They have delivered a brand new district for London which is admired the world over and laid the foundations for an amazing legacy for this great city.”
Shopping behemoth Westfield Stratford City was also commended in the Best Built Project category for “it’s major contribution to last year’s Olympic and Paralympic experience and its ongoing role in regenerating east London”.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election