Stadium alterations supported by Newham councillors
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Preparations to transform the Olympic Stadium into West Ham United’s new home took a step forward on Tuesday night as councillors supported alterations to the venue such as retractable seating.
Members of the council’s Strategic Development Committee were invited to comment on the London Legacy Development Corporation’s (LLDC) plans to transform the stadium into a multi-purpose venue capable of hosting football matches, international athletics tournaments, and music concerts.
If approved, changes would include retractable seating in the lower tier, a new extended roof design to cover the movable seats and the re-use of the lighting towers as well as plans for 400 cycle parking spaces.
The application will now be considered for approval by the LLDC.
Councillors’ official response to the planning application read: “The proposed legacy use of the stadium for a range of sporting events, including pitch sports, athletics and concerts is fully supported.
You may also want to watch:
“The design solutions that are proposed to enhance the versatility of the stadium are welcomed, particularly the proposed introduction of retractable seating, which will improve the spectator experience within the stadium for pitch sports.”
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 7 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 8 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 9 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation