“Speedy approach” to planning brings TV show to Beckton
Newham Council pulled out all the planning stops to make sure a Channel Four cookery show is filmed in the borough.
Sainsbury’s made an application on November 30 for a temporary TV studio to be built in the Savacentre’s car park in Beckton.
In what the council described as its “speedy approach” to planning, the application was the subject of a public consultation for four weeks - advertised on the council’s website - and various public bodies such as English Heritage were informed along with eight neighbouring properties.
No councillors objected so the application skipped the planning committee stage and was subsequently approved by a senior planning officer on January 25.
Starting this month, “What’s Cooking? From the Sainsbury’s Kitchen” will be filmed daily from the purpose-built studio for 13 weeks, fronted by Ben Shephard and Lisa Faulkner, and the production company are looking for Newham residents to sit in the audience.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Conor McAuley, executive member for regeneration and strategic planning, described the move as “really impressive”.
He said: “We’ve proved the council can deliver to tight deadlines and brought a top TV programme to the borough as a result.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 7 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 8 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 9 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“This shows our planning team at their best and I congratulate them on their hard work.
“It proves our work to deliver the Games wasn’t a flash in the pan and the show will help raise the profile of Newham across the country.”