Silvertown tunnel ‘fundamentally contradicts’ Sadiq Khan’s transport strategy, Newham’s mayor says
- Credit: TfL
The Silvertown Tunnel scheme “fundamentally contradicts” the mayor of London’s transport strategy, Newham’s mayor has claimed.
In a council meeting on Monday, mayor Rokhsana Fiaz said it was bizarre that a scheme had been approved which would increase congestion and worsen air quality.
Ms Fiaz pledged to oppose the tunnel in her election manifesto, but it was approved shortly after she took office.
She said: “What is bizarre for me is how the Silvertown Tunnel contradicts, fundamentally, the mayor of London’s own sustainable transport strategy, which we as a local authority are obligated to meet.
“I still believe it’s going to cause significant congestion in the south of the borough and it’s going to accelerate issues around bad air quality.
“At more than one million pounds, there are better ways we could be spending money on sustainable transport.”
The 1.4km tunnel was proposed to help reduce congestion in Blackwall tunnel and provide another river crossing in east London.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 5 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 6 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 7 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
A spokesman for the London mayor said: “New river crossings are vital for the future prosperity of east London, and the Silvertown Tunnel will have a substantial impact unlocking new jobs and economic growth, while easing congestion and poor air quality in the area.
“Since he became mayor, Sadiq has been determined to ensure the Silvertown Tunnel doesn’t have a detrimental impact on our environment. That’s why the plans have such a focus on cleaner transport, with only buses with the highest emission standard using the tunnel, and substantial investment in pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in the area.”