Silvertown tunnel ‘fundamentally contradicts’ Sadiq Khan’s transport strategy, Newham’s mayor says
- Credit: TfL
The Silvertown Tunnel scheme “fundamentally contradicts” the mayor of London’s transport strategy, Newham’s mayor has claimed.
In a council meeting on Monday, mayor Rokhsana Fiaz said it was bizarre that a scheme had been approved which would increase congestion and worsen air quality.
Ms Fiaz pledged to oppose the tunnel in her election manifesto, but it was approved shortly after she took office.
She said: “What is bizarre for me is how the Silvertown Tunnel contradicts, fundamentally, the mayor of London’s own sustainable transport strategy, which we as a local authority are obligated to meet.
“I still believe it’s going to cause significant congestion in the south of the borough and it’s going to accelerate issues around bad air quality.
You may also want to watch:
“At more than one million pounds, there are better ways we could be spending money on sustainable transport.”
The 1.4km tunnel was proposed to help reduce congestion in Blackwall tunnel and provide another river crossing in east London.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
A spokesman for the London mayor said: “New river crossings are vital for the future prosperity of east London, and the Silvertown Tunnel will have a substantial impact unlocking new jobs and economic growth, while easing congestion and poor air quality in the area.
“Since he became mayor, Sadiq has been determined to ensure the Silvertown Tunnel doesn’t have a detrimental impact on our environment. That’s why the plans have such a focus on cleaner transport, with only buses with the highest emission standard using the tunnel, and substantial investment in pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in the area.”