Plaistow councillor replaces stolen fundraising banner
- Credit: Archant
Hard-working volunteers who had their fundraising banner stolen by heartless thieves was given a new one by a Newham councillor.
Fundraisers were devastated last week after their £50 banner advertising a table top sale on the first Saturday of every month was stolen overnight.
The events were being held to fund activities for older residents at the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane in Plaistow.
At the time, concerned volunteer Jill Evans, said: “It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
You may also want to watch:
But councillor Neil Wilson, Labour member for Plaistow South, heard about their plight and presented them with a brand new banner at the community centre on Thursday.
He said: “The work of these volunteers is incredibly important.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
“The services provided at the centre offer support and comfort to a large number of vulnerable older people in Newham.
“It is despicable that the reckless behaviour of a few could potentially have ruined all their hard work.
“I’m delighted to present them with a brand new banner and I wish them the best of luck with their fundraising sale.”
To help out with the table top sale, call the centre on 020 3373 2211.