Plaistow councillor replaces stolen fundraising banner
- Credit: Archant
Hard-working volunteers who had their fundraising banner stolen by heartless thieves was given a new one by a Newham councillor.
Fundraisers were devastated last week after their £50 banner advertising a table top sale on the first Saturday of every month was stolen overnight.
The events were being held to fund activities for older residents at the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane in Plaistow.
At the time, concerned volunteer Jill Evans, said: “It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
You may also want to watch:
But councillor Neil Wilson, Labour member for Plaistow South, heard about their plight and presented them with a brand new banner at the community centre on Thursday.
He said: “The work of these volunteers is incredibly important.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
“The services provided at the centre offer support and comfort to a large number of vulnerable older people in Newham.
“It is despicable that the reckless behaviour of a few could potentially have ruined all their hard work.
“I’m delighted to present them with a brand new banner and I wish them the best of luck with their fundraising sale.”
To help out with the table top sale, call the centre on 020 3373 2211.