Plaistow councillor replaces stolen fundraising banner
- Credit: Archant
Hard-working volunteers who had their fundraising banner stolen by heartless thieves was given a new one by a Newham councillor.
Fundraisers were devastated last week after their £50 banner advertising a table top sale on the first Saturday of every month was stolen overnight.
The events were being held to fund activities for older residents at the Community Resource Centre on Chargeable Lane in Plaistow.
At the time, concerned volunteer Jill Evans, said: “It’s just so sad and I feel so sorry for them because most people run these events voluntarily.
“I mean, how low can you stoop?”
But councillor Neil Wilson, Labour member for Plaistow South, heard about their plight and presented them with a brand new banner at the community centre on Thursday.
He said: “The work of these volunteers is incredibly important.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 4 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 8 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 9 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 10 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
“The services provided at the centre offer support and comfort to a large number of vulnerable older people in Newham.
“It is despicable that the reckless behaviour of a few could potentially have ruined all their hard work.
“I’m delighted to present them with a brand new banner and I wish them the best of luck with their fundraising sale.”
To help out with the table top sale, call the centre on 020 3373 2211.