Paedophile had over one million indecent images of children at his Plaistow home
The largest recorded haul of indecent images by the police has led to a paedophile in Newham admitting possessing one million indecent images of children.
The images were found by the Metropolitan Police’s specialist Paedophile Unit when they raided the Plaistow home of Robert Barrow, 57.
The photographs, understood to be the largest number recovered by the MPS in relation to one individual, included some deemed to be of the most serious nature; those categorised as being Level 5.
Barrow is believed to have amassed the collection from a range of sources over a period of 15 years. Detectives believe he used the pictures for his own gratification as well as sharing them with other like-minded individuals.
He was arrested after admitting to officers that he had images stored on his PC before they had even looked at his machine.
DI Noel McHugh, Paedophile Unit, said: “This is the largest seizure of indecent images of children that the Met’s Paedophile Unit has recovered from one individual. Barrow’s activities were on an industrial scale. This investigation demonstrates the commitment of the Met Police to target paedophiles both on and offline.
“This is not a victimless crime as each indecent image of a child possessed or distributed represents a child that has been abused in order that the image can exist.”
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 3 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 4 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 5 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 9 Guilty: Two men convicted of savagely murdering their 'friend' in Bow Lock
- 10 Retired police boss: Sacking Met officers 'takes too long'
At Southwark Crown Court yesterday Barrow admitted three offences:
Making an indecent photograph / pseudo-photograph of a child: on or before August 13 2010 made 245,513 still images (Level 1-5) of children - contrary to Sec 1 of the Protection of Children Act 1978.
Making an indecent photograph / pseudo-photograph of a child: on or before August 13 2010 made 84 movies (Level 1-5) of children - contrary to Sec 1 of the Protection of Children Act 1978
Possessing to show / distribute an indecent photograph / pseudo-photograph of a child: on or before August 13 2010 had in his possession 160,000 still images (Level 1-5) of children - contrary to Sec 1 of the Protection of Children Act 1978.
He is due to be sentenced in September 16