Olympic Cast Members invited to Newham ‘thank you’ events
Performers from the Olympic ceremonies have finally been invited to the borough’s parties thanking volunteers.
The Recorder ran an article two weeks ago expressing concerns made after Newham’s Cast Members - who clocked up hours of their own time in rehearsals - did not receive invites to celebratory networking events.
The council held the details of their own Destination Newham volunteers, the Mayor of London’s office held those for London Ambassadors, and the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) held information on Games Makers - meaning most Cast Members did not appear on invite lists.
But now the council’s organisers are searching for ways to contact Newham residents who took part in the Ceremonies to include them at an event in Stratford and they are hoping to spread the word online and through social media.
A Newham Council spokesperson said: “Invitations have gone to Newham Council volunteers as well as LOCOG Games Makers. “Unfortunately LOCOG was unable to invite volunteers on our behalf from the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
“If you are a Newham resident and you volunteered at the Ceremonies we would like to invite you to the Thank You event on Thursday 31 January at 6pm in the Old Town Hall Stratford.
“Please visit www.newham.gov.uk/thankyouevent for registration details.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 3 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 4 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 5 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 6 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners