Nick Bracken returns to Newham
A police officer who began his career in Newham will be returning to the borough to head up community safety.
Former Borough Commander Nick Bracken has been appointed director for community safety at Newham Council. Mr Bracken, who has been awarded an OBE for services to policing, will be leaving his current post as Commander in charge of Criminal Justice based at New Scotland Yard.
During more than 30 years as a police officer he has taken part in operations across the globe. His work in identifying victims of disasters has meant he has seen more than his fair share of tragedy.
Nick, 51, was born and bred in the area and went to St Helen’s Roman Catholic Primary School in Falcon Street and the old Plaistow Grammar School.
He said: “I am a Newham boy through-and-through so I’m obviously delighted to be heading back. I did my very first patrol on East Ham High Street as a special constable and that’s where I’ll do my last.
You may also want to watch:
“My main priority will be to work in partnership to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour and to improve the quality of life for residents and local business owners alike.”
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales said: “I am delighted that Nick is returning to the borough. His local knowledge will no doubt prove invaluable as Newham looks forward to the Olympic Games next year and I am sure he will be relentless in his approach to tackling crime and anti-social behaviour alongside our partners.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0