Newham Super Casino step closer
The council’s decision to award the license for the casino in Westfield Stratford City to operators Aspers was the subject of a Judicial Review by Apollo Genting and City & Eastern. Their bids involved siting the casino in Royal Docks and Gallions Reach where they say they would have offered a greater prospect for regeneration.
They decided to “reluctantly” pull out of the legal action before a preliminary hearing on the grounds of time and costs.
The council awarded the license to Aspers in March this year after considering bids from six bidders.
Newham is one of eight councils in england to be authorised to issue a large casino licence under the Gamblilng Act 2005.
The new large casinos will have up to 150 slot machines with a maximun jackpot of �4,000.
You may also want to watch:
However the council maintaned its decision to award the license to Aspers was fair and would withstand scrutiny.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show