Newham shoppers told to beware bogus booze
- Credit: Archant
Trading Standards officers are targeting off-licences this summer after finding a record-breaking haul of bogus booze.
Newham Council’s team seized their largest amount of fake alcohol last year including 250 bottles from one off-licence in Stratford.
The haul included five bottles of potentially dangerous discount vodka that contained isopropanol - found in cleaning fluids and anti-freeze - and tertiary-Butanol which is prepare alcohol for industrial use.
Retailing at less than half the price of legal bottles at £6.99, council officers believe the ‘Drop’ and ‘Roca’ vodka was being imported from Eastern European factories.
Cllr Unmesh Desai, executive member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “This illegal alcohol is a risk to people’s health and it has not been properly produced. The criminals behind this scam also rip off the taxpayer by not paying duty.”
You may also want to watch:
Shoppers should not buy booze that has spelling mistakes on the label, looks slightly different from a bottle of the same product, alcohol not filled to the same level, and wonky labels.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k