Newham schools closed as workers go on strike
Just two schools in Newham will be open tomorrow as public sector workers stage a 24-hour walkout over government proposals to change their pension plans.
St James C of E Junior School in Forest Gate, and St Joachim’s Catholic Primary in Custom House will be the only ones fully open during the strike.
Primary schools Colegrave, Drew, Gallions, Hallsville, Salisbury, Sir John Heron, and Vicarage will be partially opened, according to the council.
They will be joined by Kensington Primary School, Kingsford Community School, Little Ilford Secondary School, New City Primary School, St Michael’s Catholic Primary School, St Francis’ Catholic Primary School and the Ronald OpenShaw Nursery.
The borough’s remaining schools will be hit by closure. For a full list visit www.newham.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/Schools/Emergencyschoolclosures.htm
You may also want to watch:
Rubbish collections are also expected to be disrupted, although the council has promised to pick up all waste scheduled for collection by the end of the week.
Newham libraries will be open as usual.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 9 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
A spokesman for the University of East London said they were aware of the intention of some staff to take industrial action but that their different schools had their own arrangements.
Unions, including the NUT, Unison, and GMB, have taken the industrial action in protest against increased pension contributions, extended retirement dates and reduced benefits.