Newham leaves Borough of Culture Awards empty handed as Waltham Forest and Brent scoop top prizes
- Credit: Archant
Newham has come away empty handed from the first ever London Borough of Culture awards.
Newham was one of 22 boroughs who had submitted an entry. Waltham Forest was crowned the Borough of Culture for 2019, with the honour being passed on to Brent in 2020.
Six other boroughs won a share of a £850,000 pot for the Mayor’s Cultural Impact Awards, which sees individual projects winning funding.
These were Barking and Dagenham, Camden, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham and Merton.
Newham’s bid had stated that it had experience of putting on “meaningful cultural activities” at venues like City Airport, the London Stadium and ExCel.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “All of London has two exciting Boroughs of Culture celebrations to look forward to, and I can’t wait to see Waltham Forest and Brent’s bids come to life and improve the lives of people in their local communities.
“All boroughs who have bid should feel proud of their proposals.”
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 5 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation