Newham goes to the polls for AV referendum
Voting takes place today on whether the UK should change the way it elects MPs.
Polling stations across Newham will be open from 7am to allow people to have their say on the voting system used for Parliamentary elections.
Voters will be asked whether they want to replace the current first past the post method with the alternative vote — or AV — system.
If you want to keep the current system then put a cross in the “no” box. If you want to change to AV, put a cross in the “yes box”.
The polls close at 10pm and anyone who doesn’t have a ballot paper by then will not be able to vote.
You may also want to watch:
Those who have a postal vote but have forgotten to send it in can also take their ballot paper along before 10pm.
For more information call the Electoral Commission helpline on 0800 3280280.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR