Newham Council second top in country for union salaries
Newham Council has been revealed to be the second biggest spender in the country on the wages of full-time union officials.
According to data provided under the Freedom of Information Act, the council’s salary bill during 2010/11 was �380,562, second only to Sheffield with �504,585.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “Recognised trade unions play an important part in collectively representing our workforce.
“The council is engaged in a major cost reduction programme, which involves negotiating with our trade unions on an ongoing basis.
“Unlike others, we work with trade unions rather than seeking to attack them.”
You may also want to watch:
The survey found that Newham Council paid its nine full-time officials an average of �42,284.66, well above the corresponding figure of �28,032.50 paid by Sheffield Council to its 18 representatives.
A total of 319 out of 429 councils replied to the data request under the Freedom of Information Act, 132 of which pay full-time union officials.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
The total salary bill for full-time union officials from the council respondents came to �35 million in 2010/11, plus a further �2 million for providing unions with additional resources.
Grant Shapps, minister for Local Government, said: “These figures reveal how over the past decade Labour stuffed Town Halls full of compliant union barons who are sucking money away from vital services while at the same time planning politically motivated propaganda against spending cuts.”