New Year Honour’s: Barts & Royal London hospital chief Stephen O’Brien is knighted
The NHS chief running six of east London’s hospitals has been knighted in the New Year’s Honours List.
Barts Health NHS Trust chairman Stephen O’Brien, who already holds the CBE, led the merger of two health trusts which now manages the hospitals in Tower Hamlets, neighbouring Newham and Waltham Forest.
Stephen, who has lived in the East End since 1987, said: “It has been a privilege working with the people of east London for many years.”
He chaired Barts & The London NHS Trust responsible for the Royal London in Whitechapel, the London Chest in Bethnal Green and St Bartholomew’s in the City when it merged in April with the trusts running Newham and Whipps Cross hospitals.
Barts Health Trust chief executive Peter Morris said: “It’s down to Stephen that we’re now in a strong position as a merged trust for the best healthcare for east London’s population.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Obrien—now Sir Stephen—is continuing in his role to lead the hospital group towards becoming a Foundation trust over the next few years. He is also vice president of Business in the Community and a former chairman of London First, the influential business campaign group. Labour leader Ed Miliband appointed him in October to draw up a strategic plan for mental health in society.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation