New mayor thanks outgoing councillors in first full council meeting
- Credit: Archant
In her first full council meeting as mayor, Rokhsana Fiaz paid tribute to the councillors no longer serving.
She praised Conor McAuley, Dianne Walls and Seyi Akiwowo for their dedication to the people of Newham.
“I want to thank some of the councillors who aren’t in this room for their long-standing commitment,” she said.
“I salute you.”
She thanked Mr McAuley for his work on regeneration and highlighted Ms Walls’ progress in education.
“Councillors Walls was an absolute giant in education,” she said.
“She was amongst the first pioneering education practitioners, and she took on the establishment. She was an inspiration in her commitment to getting us invested in early years education.”
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 4 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
She also paid tribute to Seyi Akiwowo, who in 2014, was Newham’s youngest councillor.
“I’d like to salute Seyi Akiwowo. At the time she was our youngest councillor, but she was a trailblazer. She challenged and she kicked arse and she was brilliant for it. Seyi, wherever you are – probably enjoying a night out – I salute you.”