New mayor thanks outgoing councillors in first full council meeting
- Credit: Archant
In her first full council meeting as mayor, Rokhsana Fiaz paid tribute to the councillors no longer serving.
She praised Conor McAuley, Dianne Walls and Seyi Akiwowo for their dedication to the people of Newham.
“I want to thank some of the councillors who aren’t in this room for their long-standing commitment,” she said.
“I salute you.”
She thanked Mr McAuley for his work on regeneration and highlighted Ms Walls’ progress in education.
You may also want to watch:
“Councillors Walls was an absolute giant in education,” she said.
“She was amongst the first pioneering education practitioners, and she took on the establishment. She was an inspiration in her commitment to getting us invested in early years education.”
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
She also paid tribute to Seyi Akiwowo, who in 2014, was Newham’s youngest councillor.
“I’d like to salute Seyi Akiwowo. At the time she was our youngest councillor, but she was a trailblazer. She challenged and she kicked arse and she was brilliant for it. Seyi, wherever you are – probably enjoying a night out – I salute you.”