New mayor thanks outgoing councillors in first full council meeting
- Credit: Archant
In her first full council meeting as mayor, Rokhsana Fiaz paid tribute to the councillors no longer serving.
She praised Conor McAuley, Dianne Walls and Seyi Akiwowo for their dedication to the people of Newham.
“I want to thank some of the councillors who aren’t in this room for their long-standing commitment,” she said.
“I salute you.”
She thanked Mr McAuley for his work on regeneration and highlighted Ms Walls’ progress in education.
You may also want to watch:
“Councillors Walls was an absolute giant in education,” she said.
“She was amongst the first pioneering education practitioners, and she took on the establishment. She was an inspiration in her commitment to getting us invested in early years education.”
- 1 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 4 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 7 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 8 East Ham Central welcomes new Labour councillor
- 9 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 10 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
She also paid tribute to Seyi Akiwowo, who in 2014, was Newham’s youngest councillor.
“I’d like to salute Seyi Akiwowo. At the time she was our youngest councillor, but she was a trailblazer. She challenged and she kicked arse and she was brilliant for it. Seyi, wherever you are – probably enjoying a night out – I salute you.”