New mayor thanks outgoing councillors in first full council meeting
- Credit: Archant
In her first full council meeting as mayor, Rokhsana Fiaz paid tribute to the councillors no longer serving.
She praised Conor McAuley, Dianne Walls and Seyi Akiwowo for their dedication to the people of Newham.
“I want to thank some of the councillors who aren’t in this room for their long-standing commitment,” she said.
“I salute you.”
She thanked Mr McAuley for his work on regeneration and highlighted Ms Walls’ progress in education.
You may also want to watch:
“Councillors Walls was an absolute giant in education,” she said.
“She was amongst the first pioneering education practitioners, and she took on the establishment. She was an inspiration in her commitment to getting us invested in early years education.”
- 1 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 2 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 8 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 9 Flying Hammers face testing week with games coming thick and fast
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
She also paid tribute to Seyi Akiwowo, who in 2014, was Newham’s youngest councillor.
“I’d like to salute Seyi Akiwowo. At the time she was our youngest councillor, but she was a trailblazer. She challenged and she kicked arse and she was brilliant for it. Seyi, wherever you are – probably enjoying a night out – I salute you.”