New look for Canning Town library
- Credit: Archant
A “state-of-the-art” community centre will soon be coming to Canning Town.
The cutting-edge “community neighbourhood centre” is destined for an empty building in Rathbone Market, in Barking Road.
The council is spending £2million on the project, which will involve relocating the Canning Town library, which currently stands opposite the market.
Library users will continue to enjoy access to over six million titles through the London Library consortium, where libraries from across the capital share items, as well as the usual books, films and CDs already on offer.
There will also be new studying and reading areas, self-check-in and check-out facilities, computers and free WiFi. so that people can cater for parties and events.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ken Clark said the project would “bring local residents together and build community spirit”.
“The building is currently only a shell and we need to undertake extensive work inside to turn it into a fully functioning modern community neighbourhood centre. This is a hugely exciting project and I hope when it is complete residents will make full use of it and it becomes an integral part of the community.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
The centre is expected to open in 2017, and the council is investigating “possible future uses” for the current Canning Town library building.