New and larger police teams took to Newham streets today
- Credit: Archant
New and larger Safer Neighbourhood Teams, including one for the Olympic Park, took to the streets today following a restructure of the police.
Officers gathered at Stratford Park earlier today for the official launch of the teams.
The West Newham Policing Team will be made up of five police teams covering West Ham, Forest Gate North, Forest Gate South, Stratford and the Olympic Park.
Additional support will also continued to be provided to Westfield Shopping Centre.
Under the direction of an inspector, supported by a detective Sergeant, the new larger teams will take responsibility for investigating local crime.
Chief Inspector David Brewster said “The Metropolitan Police Service have committed more resources to the front line of policing. For Newham this means bigger and more visible local teams, who will have the freedom and skills to address the issues that matter to our communities.
“We are committed to increasing victim care and satisfaction in the service that the public rightly expect from us. But we can only achieve this with public support and information.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
“The officers deployed to our new teams have been provided additional training and are raring to go. Anyone who feels they have had a free reign to engage in criminality or anti-social behaviour may want to reconsider their chosen career path”.
The teams will operate from Stratford Police Station.
Work is also underway to ensure the East Central and South teams are deployed by the end of September.