New and larger police teams took to Newham streets today
- Credit: Archant
New and larger Safer Neighbourhood Teams, including one for the Olympic Park, took to the streets today following a restructure of the police.
Officers gathered at Stratford Park earlier today for the official launch of the teams.
The West Newham Policing Team will be made up of five police teams covering West Ham, Forest Gate North, Forest Gate South, Stratford and the Olympic Park.
Additional support will also continued to be provided to Westfield Shopping Centre.
Under the direction of an inspector, supported by a detective Sergeant, the new larger teams will take responsibility for investigating local crime.
Chief Inspector David Brewster said “The Metropolitan Police Service have committed more resources to the front line of policing. For Newham this means bigger and more visible local teams, who will have the freedom and skills to address the issues that matter to our communities.
“We are committed to increasing victim care and satisfaction in the service that the public rightly expect from us. But we can only achieve this with public support and information.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
“The officers deployed to our new teams have been provided additional training and are raring to go. Anyone who feels they have had a free reign to engage in criminality or anti-social behaviour may want to reconsider their chosen career path”.
The teams will operate from Stratford Police Station.
Work is also underway to ensure the East Central and South teams are deployed by the end of September.