MP hails success of village fete in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
Women of the Forest Gate Women’s Institute were declared Newham’s “answer to Mary Portas” by the MP for West Ham after throwing their first village fete on Saturday.
The ladies pulled together to put on a lively afternoon of baking competitions and photography; nail and massage treatments; opportunities to knit and natter and have a portrait taken; tombolas and raffles; face-painting, lantern making and magic shows.
West Ham MP Lyn Brown, who officially opened the Forest Gate WI Village Fete on Woodgrange Road, said: “The WI has taken a keen and proactive interest in keeping our high streets alive.
“Forest Gate WI is our very own answer to Mary Portas. The fete was a huge success and I managed to get a foot massage, manicure and buy a tomato and chilli plant.”
Karen Kershaw, who helped to organise the event, added: “I thought the day went brilliantly - all good groups need a leader and vision and we had that in plenty.”
You may also want to watch:
The next meeting of Forest Gate WI will be a picnic on Wanstead Flats on July 2, weather permitting.
All women are welcome. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Alicia Francis on 07903 377929.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation