MP hails success of village fete in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
Women of the Forest Gate Women’s Institute were declared Newham’s “answer to Mary Portas” by the MP for West Ham after throwing their first village fete on Saturday.
The ladies pulled together to put on a lively afternoon of baking competitions and photography; nail and massage treatments; opportunities to knit and natter and have a portrait taken; tombolas and raffles; face-painting, lantern making and magic shows.
West Ham MP Lyn Brown, who officially opened the Forest Gate WI Village Fete on Woodgrange Road, said: “The WI has taken a keen and proactive interest in keeping our high streets alive.
“Forest Gate WI is our very own answer to Mary Portas. The fete was a huge success and I managed to get a foot massage, manicure and buy a tomato and chilli plant.”
Karen Kershaw, who helped to organise the event, added: “I thought the day went brilliantly - all good groups need a leader and vision and we had that in plenty.”
You may also want to watch:
The next meeting of Forest Gate WI will be a picnic on Wanstead Flats on July 2, weather permitting.
All women are welcome. For more information, email email@example.com or call Alicia Francis on 07903 377929.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford