MP hails success of village fete in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
Women of the Forest Gate Women’s Institute were declared Newham’s “answer to Mary Portas” by the MP for West Ham after throwing their first village fete on Saturday.
The ladies pulled together to put on a lively afternoon of baking competitions and photography; nail and massage treatments; opportunities to knit and natter and have a portrait taken; tombolas and raffles; face-painting, lantern making and magic shows.
West Ham MP Lyn Brown, who officially opened the Forest Gate WI Village Fete on Woodgrange Road, said: “The WI has taken a keen and proactive interest in keeping our high streets alive.
“Forest Gate WI is our very own answer to Mary Portas. The fete was a huge success and I managed to get a foot massage, manicure and buy a tomato and chilli plant.”
Karen Kershaw, who helped to organise the event, added: “I thought the day went brilliantly - all good groups need a leader and vision and we had that in plenty.”
You may also want to watch:
The next meeting of Forest Gate WI will be a picnic on Wanstead Flats on July 2, weather permitting.
All women are welcome. For more information, email email@example.com or call Alicia Francis on 07903 377929.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 7 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims