MP hails success of village fete in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
Women of the Forest Gate Women’s Institute were declared Newham’s “answer to Mary Portas” by the MP for West Ham after throwing their first village fete on Saturday.
The ladies pulled together to put on a lively afternoon of baking competitions and photography; nail and massage treatments; opportunities to knit and natter and have a portrait taken; tombolas and raffles; face-painting, lantern making and magic shows.
West Ham MP Lyn Brown, who officially opened the Forest Gate WI Village Fete on Woodgrange Road, said: “The WI has taken a keen and proactive interest in keeping our high streets alive.
“Forest Gate WI is our very own answer to Mary Portas. The fete was a huge success and I managed to get a foot massage, manicure and buy a tomato and chilli plant.”
Karen Kershaw, who helped to organise the event, added: “I thought the day went brilliantly - all good groups need a leader and vision and we had that in plenty.”
The next meeting of Forest Gate WI will be a picnic on Wanstead Flats on July 2, weather permitting.
All women are welcome. For more information, email email@example.com or call Alicia Francis on 07903 377929.
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 8 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 9 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 10 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend