Lib Dems warn of ‘weakened UK’ ahead of Brexit vote
- Credit: PA
Newham’s Liberal Democrats have warned that Brexit “will leave the UK weakened” ahead of today’s House of Commons vote.
Gareth Evans and Eimear O’Casey, the party’s spokespeople for the East Ham and West Ham constituencies, also reiterated their call for a people’s vote.
They said: “The future of our country should be decided by the people.
“The people must be given the final say on Brexit, including the option to remain in the EU.
“As has become clearer than ever, a Brexit of any stripe will leave the UK weakened and the public poorer.
You may also want to watch:
“For the livelihoods of people right across Newham, there is no deal better than the deal we currently have as EU members.”
Politicians are set to vote on whether to accept prime minister Theresa May’s negotiated withdrawal agreement. Rejection would increase the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project