Lib Dems warn of ‘weakened UK’ ahead of Brexit vote
- Credit: PA
Newham’s Liberal Democrats have warned that Brexit “will leave the UK weakened” ahead of today’s House of Commons vote.
Gareth Evans and Eimear O’Casey, the party’s spokespeople for the East Ham and West Ham constituencies, also reiterated their call for a people’s vote.
They said: “The future of our country should be decided by the people.
“The people must be given the final say on Brexit, including the option to remain in the EU.
“As has become clearer than ever, a Brexit of any stripe will leave the UK weakened and the public poorer.
You may also want to watch:
“For the livelihoods of people right across Newham, there is no deal better than the deal we currently have as EU members.”
Politicians are set to vote on whether to accept prime minister Theresa May’s negotiated withdrawal agreement. Rejection would increase the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 3 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 6 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station