In pictures and video: Newham Carnival 2013: Thousands come out for Mayor’s Newham Show
- Credit: Archant
A glorious day of sunshihne greeted revellers as the Mayor’s Newham Show opened in East Ham today.
The sweltering heat could not keep the crowds away from Central Park as residents got stuck into hula-hooping and swing dance in the giant, blue cabaret tent.
Many bopped away to performers on the main stage while many others decided to lay back on deck chairs and soak up the rays on Newham Beach.
Queues to meet local firefighters in their engines and to ride round on a donkey were 20 deep - and the ice cream vans were doing a roaring trade, too.
The Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales could be seen darting around the Show with Deputy Mayor Cllr Lester Hudson, judging food competitions and meeting residents.
He also had the honour of kicking off the Newham Carnival with Young Mayor Rebekah Dike on Rancliffe Road.
An explosion of sound followed after, filling the surrounding streets of East Ham with everything from gospel choirs, to dohl drums, upbeat chart hits, and rap from the students of NewVIc.
- 1 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 2 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 3 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 4 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 Covid-19: How the situation in Newham compares to this time last year
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
- 10 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
Primary schools and churches went all out making their own costumes while other volunteers donned rain macs and umbrellas from the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games.
Cheers also went up for local lollipop men and women who were marching underneath a Diamond Jubilee banner to mark the 60th anniversary of the Schools Crossing Service in London.
See a video of the Newham Carnival below and click on the right hand side to view a picture gallery by photographer David Mirzoeff.
More fun is planned for tomorrow at the Mayor’s Newham Show in Central Park, East Ham from 12pm to 6pm.
For full coverage of the Show, see Wednesday’s Newham Recorder.