Honour for Stratford student who beat the odds for Neuroscience degree
A Stratford student was honoured in Parliament this week for her academic achievements and courage in the face of adversity.
Chinazam Nwonkonor beat a host of other candidates to win the Outstanding Achievement Award for Higher Education Females in the London Schools and the Black Child event hosted by Diane Abbot MP in the House of Commons.
Ms Abbot, MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, praised Chinazam’s hard work and determination after she achieved a 2:1 in Neuroscience from University College London despite being diagnosed with hyper mobility syndrome during her studies.
Ms Abbot said: “I would like to congratulate Chinazam for winning this prestigious award.
“She worked incredibly hard, as did all our winners.
You may also want to watch:
“Chinazam overcame some difficult circumstances and showed a great deal of resilience to achieve her results.
“The awards are about celebrating young, black people in this city and showing the world that they are high achievers. Chinazam is a great ambassador for her peers.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
Guest presenters on the night, including broadcaster Sir Trevor McDonald, former Spurs and England footballer Ledley King, Stratford’s own Olympian Christine Ohuruogu, Team GB athlete Louise Hazel, and soul singer Ruby Turner, presented Chinazam and others with an iPad and a certificate.