Honour for Stratford student who beat the odds for Neuroscience degree
A Stratford student was honoured in Parliament this week for her academic achievements and courage in the face of adversity.
Chinazam Nwonkonor beat a host of other candidates to win the Outstanding Achievement Award for Higher Education Females in the London Schools and the Black Child event hosted by Diane Abbot MP in the House of Commons.
Ms Abbot, MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, praised Chinazam’s hard work and determination after she achieved a 2:1 in Neuroscience from University College London despite being diagnosed with hyper mobility syndrome during her studies.
Ms Abbot said: “I would like to congratulate Chinazam for winning this prestigious award.
“She worked incredibly hard, as did all our winners.
You may also want to watch:
“Chinazam overcame some difficult circumstances and showed a great deal of resilience to achieve her results.
“The awards are about celebrating young, black people in this city and showing the world that they are high achievers. Chinazam is a great ambassador for her peers.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
Guest presenters on the night, including broadcaster Sir Trevor McDonald, former Spurs and England footballer Ledley King, Stratford’s own Olympian Christine Ohuruogu, Team GB athlete Louise Hazel, and soul singer Ruby Turner, presented Chinazam and others with an iPad and a certificate.