Have you got what it takes to be Newham Young Mayor?
If you think you know what young people in Newham want and you can deliver those changes, now is the time to apply to be Newham Young Mayor.
Nominations opened last week for residents aged between 14 to 18 who feel passionately about representing young people and want to make a positive impact on the borough.
Current Newham Young Mayor Ali Mohamed said: “Being Young Mayor has been an experience like no other. I have met some great people and had real opportunities to make a difference. I urge anyone with a passion for representing young people to put their name forward.
“As a young person I know that our ideas can often be overlooked but in Newham we have a chance to prove ourselves and we should grab it with both hands. I only wish my time could last longer.”
The Young Mayor and the Youth Council meet regularly to discuss how best to voice the opinion of over 25,000 young residents, a big challenge as Newham has one of the largest young populations in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
The candidate who is elected for 2011/2012 will have the particularly important task of promoting Newham during the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and ensuring that the legacy left by them includes the needs of young people.
Candidates must live in the borough and be able to attend all the nominees’ and candidates’ training days on Saturday October 1, 8, and 15.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 8 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
To apply online, visit www.newham.gov.uk/YoungMayor/Elections and fill out a nommination form before September 28.