Have you got what it takes to be Newham Young Mayor?
If you think you know what young people in Newham want and you can deliver those changes, now is the time to apply to be Newham Young Mayor.
Nominations opened last week for residents aged between 14 to 18 who feel passionately about representing young people and want to make a positive impact on the borough.
Current Newham Young Mayor Ali Mohamed said: “Being Young Mayor has been an experience like no other. I have met some great people and had real opportunities to make a difference. I urge anyone with a passion for representing young people to put their name forward.
“As a young person I know that our ideas can often be overlooked but in Newham we have a chance to prove ourselves and we should grab it with both hands. I only wish my time could last longer.”
The Young Mayor and the Youth Council meet regularly to discuss how best to voice the opinion of over 25,000 young residents, a big challenge as Newham has one of the largest young populations in the UK.
The candidate who is elected for 2011/2012 will have the particularly important task of promoting Newham during the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and ensuring that the legacy left by them includes the needs of young people.
Candidates must live in the borough and be able to attend all the nominees’ and candidates’ training days on Saturday October 1, 8, and 15.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 4 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 5 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 6 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 7 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 8 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 9 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
- 10 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
To apply online, visit www.newham.gov.uk/YoungMayor/Elections and fill out a nommination form before September 28.