Government rejects West Ham mega-mosque appeal
- Credit: Archant
The government has officially rejected plans to build a 9,000-capacity mega-mosque in the borough.
The Department for Communities and Local Government has announced that appeals relating to the planned mosque in West Ham have been dismissed.
The main appeal was into Newham Council’s unanimous refusal of planning permission for a large new mosque at the Abbey Mills Riverine Centre back in December 2012..
A second appeal sought temporary permission to use the existing building as a place of worship should the main appeal be rejected.
Following the appeal, a three week planning inquiry was held last year, with the outcome leaked by sources close to the scheme earlier this week.
It was announced on Thursday that all the appeals have been rejected.
A spokesman for the DCLG said: “Ministers have today dismissed appeals on the refusal of planning permission for a mosque in the London borough of Newham.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 4 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 5 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 6 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 7 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
- 10 Pensioner dies after being critically injured in East Ham crash
“The decision was based on concerns that include local housing provision and conflict with the council’s local plan for the borough.
“It also took account of the evidence from all parties and is in line with the council’s original determination and advice from the independent planning inspector on the main appeal.”
A third appeal was against an enforcement notice requiring the appellants, the Anjuman-E-Islahul-Muslimeen Trust, to cease using the site as a place of worship.
They now have three months to comply with this upheld enforcement notice.
The Canning Road site has been owned by the Trust since 1996 and is regularly used by around 3,000 worshippers.
Newham Council has welcomed the government’s decision.
Cllr Ken Clark, cabinet member for building communities, public affairs, regeneration and planning, said: “Newham Council has tried to work with the trust for more than a decade to create a plan that would benefit all residents by providing much needed jobs, homes and community space.
“But repeatedly the trust has broken its promises and delayed the inevitable.
“It is now time that this site is made thoroughly safe and developed appropriately so that it can provide vital facilities for the whole community of Newham.”