Free school could open in Silvertown in 2014
A charity and a local primary school have teamed up to set up a new free school in Silvertown by September 2014.
The proposal - dubbed the Oasis Academy Silvertown - plans to be a small, co-educational, fully inclusive school for children aged 11 to 16 opening with an initial intake of 120 pupils.
Oasis Community Learning - an educational trust that has established 19 academies - is currently looking for a suitable site in partnership with Britannia Village Primary School in Westwood Road.
Steve Chalke, Oasis founder, said: “Oasis’ goal is to create an outstanding community secondary school in Silvertown which will offer both an excellent education and many additional opportunities for students and their families.
“We are delighted to be developing this much-needed new school in order to meet the needs of this diverse community.”
You may also want to watch:
Linda-May Bingham, headteacher of Britannia Village Primary School, said: “We are very excited at the prospect of partnering with Oasis to open a new secondary school in Silvertown.
“The academy will offer students a seamless transition from the excellent primary education and pastoral care currently offered to local children.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
There are three upcoming public consultations in Silvertown for parents and carers with organisers seeking signatures in support of their application to the Department of Education.
A meeting will be held today (Weds Nov 21) from 2pm at Drew Primary School in Wythes Road, followed by another this afternoon at 3.30pm at Calverton Primary School in King George Avenue, and a third on Tuesday December 11 at 7pm at Britannia Village Hall, 65 Evenlyn Road.
More information can be found online at www. oasisacademysilvertown.org.