Forest Gate councillor Seyi Akiwowo to step down from Newham Council
- Credit: Seyi Akiwowo
Cllr Seyi Akiwowo has announced that she will not be seeking re-election after four years on the council.
The Forest Gate North councillor said that she had “written to the procedures secretary of the Newham Labour selection process to withdraw from the panel” ahead of May’s election.
Cllr Akiwowo became the youngest member of the council when she was elected in May 2014 at the age of just 22.
She said: “Four years ago, Forest Gate North branch took a chance on a young 21-year-old Labour activist and not only selected me to be their Labour Councillor candidate, but embraced me as a member of a supportive and hardworking family.
“Then less than a year later Forest Gate North residents elected me as one of their councillor representatives.
You may also want to watch:
“I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting and building relationships with residents across the ward. I know it sounds cheesy but honestly, it has been a real privilege to represent you and make positive changes to the ward and borough I grew up in.”
She added: “It has been a humbling four years; I would especially like to thank Forest Gate North branch members and residents for supporting important campaigns and activities around youth safety, re-zoning of Maryland Station, helping set up a thriving community group in Maryland, regeneration of Thorogood Gardens and Muraland Public Arts project.”
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
Cllr Akiwowo also thanked her fellow ward councillors Rachel Tripp and Anam Islam, and former Forest Gate North councillor Ellie Robinson, for their “encouragement, advice and grace”.