Final hours for Newham AV referendum votes
Time is running out for voters in Newham to have their say on how the UK elects its MPs.
Polling stations across the borough were quiet this morning as the first UK-wide referendum for more than 30 years got underway.
But centres will be open until 10pm tonight.
People are being asked whether they want to retain the current first past the post system or switch to the alternative vote — or AV — method, which allows electors to rank candidates in order of preference.
An army of vote-counters will begin tallying the totals at Newham Leisure Centre tomorrow morning.
You may also want to watch:
The borough’s referendum results are expected to be announced on Friday evening, when they will be phoned through to the national counting centre at ExCeL in the Royal Docks.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k