East Ham Conservatives name Fazlul Karim as candidate for Boleyn ward councillor
- Credit: Archant
The East Ham Conservative Party have selected their candidate to run as councillor in Boleyn ward.
Last week, Veronica Oakeshott, who’s been a Labour councillor in Boleyn for three years, announced her resignation on Twitter, saying she was moving to be closer to family.
The Conservatives have chosen Fazlul Karim to fight for the new vacancy.
Mr Karim ran for the seat in May, gaining seven per cent of the votes. He lives in the ward with his family and runs two businesses on Barking Road.
In a post on the East Ham Conservative Facebook page, he announced his priorities would be better living standards and more leisure facilities. He wants to build more homes for families and work closer with small businesses.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am delighted with the opportunity to continue working with the local community and ensure they have an independent voice for them on the council.”
Attic Rahman, chairman of East Ham Conservatives, called him the “local candidate for “local residents”.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
A by-election will only be triggered if at least two people who are eligible to vote in Newham request one.
Labour’s candidate is yet to be announced.