East Ham Conservatives name Fazlul Karim as candidate for Boleyn ward councillor
- Credit: Archant
The East Ham Conservative Party have selected their candidate to run as councillor in Boleyn ward.
Last week, Veronica Oakeshott, who’s been a Labour councillor in Boleyn for three years, announced her resignation on Twitter, saying she was moving to be closer to family.
The Conservatives have chosen Fazlul Karim to fight for the new vacancy.
Mr Karim ran for the seat in May, gaining seven per cent of the votes. He lives in the ward with his family and runs two businesses on Barking Road.
In a post on the East Ham Conservative Facebook page, he announced his priorities would be better living standards and more leisure facilities. He wants to build more homes for families and work closer with small businesses.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am delighted with the opportunity to continue working with the local community and ensure they have an independent voice for them on the council.”
Attic Rahman, chairman of East Ham Conservatives, called him the “local candidate for “local residents”.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
A by-election will only be triggered if at least two people who are eligible to vote in Newham request one.
Labour’s candidate is yet to be announced.