East Ham Conservatives name Fazlul Karim as candidate for Boleyn ward councillor
- Credit: Archant
The East Ham Conservative Party have selected their candidate to run as councillor in Boleyn ward.
Last week, Veronica Oakeshott, who’s been a Labour councillor in Boleyn for three years, announced her resignation on Twitter, saying she was moving to be closer to family.
The Conservatives have chosen Fazlul Karim to fight for the new vacancy.
Mr Karim ran for the seat in May, gaining seven per cent of the votes. He lives in the ward with his family and runs two businesses on Barking Road.
In a post on the East Ham Conservative Facebook page, he announced his priorities would be better living standards and more leisure facilities. He wants to build more homes for families and work closer with small businesses.
He said: “I am delighted with the opportunity to continue working with the local community and ensure they have an independent voice for them on the council.”
Attic Rahman, chairman of East Ham Conservatives, called him the “local candidate for “local residents”.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
A by-election will only be triggered if at least two people who are eligible to vote in Newham request one.
Labour’s candidate is yet to be announced.