East Ham Conservatives name Fazlul Karim as candidate for Boleyn ward councillor
- Credit: Archant
The East Ham Conservative Party have selected their candidate to run as councillor in Boleyn ward.
Last week, Veronica Oakeshott, who’s been a Labour councillor in Boleyn for three years, announced her resignation on Twitter, saying she was moving to be closer to family.
The Conservatives have chosen Fazlul Karim to fight for the new vacancy.
Mr Karim ran for the seat in May, gaining seven per cent of the votes. He lives in the ward with his family and runs two businesses on Barking Road.
In a post on the East Ham Conservative Facebook page, he announced his priorities would be better living standards and more leisure facilities. He wants to build more homes for families and work closer with small businesses.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am delighted with the opportunity to continue working with the local community and ensure they have an independent voice for them on the council.”
Attic Rahman, chairman of East Ham Conservatives, called him the “local candidate for “local residents”.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
A by-election will only be triggered if at least two people who are eligible to vote in Newham request one.
Labour’s candidate is yet to be announced.