Eight week budget cut consultation to begin next month

East Ham Town Hall

East Ham Town Hall - Credit: Archant

An eight week consultation into what the council should cut in order to save £50million will begin on August 17.

Cabinet members agreed last night to the development of a consultation and engagement plan, which will see residents asked to rank the areas of spending in priority order.

Cllr Ken Clark, cabinet member for building communities, public affairs, planning and regeneration, said: “There will be plenty of opportunities to have a face to face conversation.”

The savings need to be made from the 2016/17 budget, which will be agreed this winter.

According to the council, £50m is more than it currently spends on street cleaning, waste collection, keeping the roads lit and running libraries combined.


You may also want to watch:


It has already seen its government funding cut by £106m over the last five years.

Initial plans to raise awareness of the issue were approved at last month’s cabinet meeting, with posters going up around the borough to spread the word.

Most Read

The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, acknowledged that different sections of the community will have different priorities when it comes to spending the council’s budget.

He said: “We will find satisfactory savings.

“The more we can involve residents in understanding the problems and their impact the better.”

Further information on the consultation will be released in due course.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter