East Ham photographer’s Olympic image a real eye-catcher
A patriotic image of the Olympic Park at night saw a young woman from East Ham crowned the borough’s most promising photographer.
Hayley Dawson, 23, won Capturing Newham, a council-run photography competition to find a talented snapper to capture the spirit of 2012.
Hayley started thinking about pursuing a photographic career after taking reams of holiday snaps and she entered the contest with the support of her boyfriend and family.
After beating 300 competitors, Hayley said: “The Olympics provided an unmissable opportunity to capture moments and the people that made them, inspired me to never put my camera away.
“I was so excited when I found out I had won. My family are really happy for me.
You may also want to watch:
“My winning entry was inspired by an amazing day at the Olympic Park. On the way home from the athletics everything was lit up and I saw the opportunity, turned around and thought it was perfect for a picture.
“I’ve decided to spend my money on my photography career.”
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Split into three categories - an adult one plus two junior categories - Hayley won �1,000 from Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales.
Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “I congratulate Hayley for creating a picture that really encapsulates the way many of us felt about the Games. They were a triumph and this photo is a triumph. Hayley is a deserved winner.
“The competition demonstrated what gifted people we have in the borough and I look forward to seeing what these talented individuals do next.”
Abraham Male, who was Newham’s Young Mayor at the time, crowned Katrina Jablonovska the winner of the 11 to 13 category and Zarah Kanwal the best of the 14 to 18 category, awarding them �500 worth of photography equipment each.