East Ham photographer’s Olympic image a real eye-catcher
A patriotic image of the Olympic Park at night saw a young woman from East Ham crowned the borough’s most promising photographer.
Hayley Dawson, 23, won Capturing Newham, a council-run photography competition to find a talented snapper to capture the spirit of 2012.
Hayley started thinking about pursuing a photographic career after taking reams of holiday snaps and she entered the contest with the support of her boyfriend and family.
After beating 300 competitors, Hayley said: “The Olympics provided an unmissable opportunity to capture moments and the people that made them, inspired me to never put my camera away.
“I was so excited when I found out I had won. My family are really happy for me.
You may also want to watch:
“My winning entry was inspired by an amazing day at the Olympic Park. On the way home from the athletics everything was lit up and I saw the opportunity, turned around and thought it was perfect for a picture.
“I’ve decided to spend my money on my photography career.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
Split into three categories - an adult one plus two junior categories - Hayley won �1,000 from Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales.
Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “I congratulate Hayley for creating a picture that really encapsulates the way many of us felt about the Games. They were a triumph and this photo is a triumph. Hayley is a deserved winner.
“The competition demonstrated what gifted people we have in the borough and I look forward to seeing what these talented individuals do next.”
Abraham Male, who was Newham’s Young Mayor at the time, crowned Katrina Jablonovska the winner of the 11 to 13 category and Zarah Kanwal the best of the 14 to 18 category, awarding them �500 worth of photography equipment each.