East Ham photographer’s Olympic image a real eye-catcher
A patriotic image of the Olympic Park at night saw a young woman from East Ham crowned the borough’s most promising photographer.
Hayley Dawson, 23, won Capturing Newham, a council-run photography competition to find a talented snapper to capture the spirit of 2012.
Hayley started thinking about pursuing a photographic career after taking reams of holiday snaps and she entered the contest with the support of her boyfriend and family.
After beating 300 competitors, Hayley said: “The Olympics provided an unmissable opportunity to capture moments and the people that made them, inspired me to never put my camera away.
“I was so excited when I found out I had won. My family are really happy for me.
“My winning entry was inspired by an amazing day at the Olympic Park. On the way home from the athletics everything was lit up and I saw the opportunity, turned around and thought it was perfect for a picture.
“I’ve decided to spend my money on my photography career.”
- 1 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 2 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 3 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 6 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 7 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 8 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 9 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 10 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
Split into three categories - an adult one plus two junior categories - Hayley won �1,000 from Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales.
Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “I congratulate Hayley for creating a picture that really encapsulates the way many of us felt about the Games. They were a triumph and this photo is a triumph. Hayley is a deserved winner.
“The competition demonstrated what gifted people we have in the borough and I look forward to seeing what these talented individuals do next.”
Abraham Male, who was Newham’s Young Mayor at the time, crowned Katrina Jablonovska the winner of the 11 to 13 category and Zarah Kanwal the best of the 14 to 18 category, awarding them �500 worth of photography equipment each.