Boleyn by-election: Just days left for aspiring councillors to get involved
- Credit: Archant
Aspiring councillors have until Friday to submit their nomination papers for the Boleyn ward by-election.
The vote, which will take place on Thursday, November 1, was triggered after Cllr Veronica Oakeshott handed in her resignation last month.
She had represented the ward for three years and will be moving to Oxfordshire “for family reasons”
Anyone who wishes to stand as a potential replacement, whether as an independent candidate or on behalf of a political group, must deliver their nomination papers to East Ham Town Hall by 4pm on Friday.
The Conservatives have already announced Fazlul Karim as their candidate, but other parties have not yet revealed their nominees.
You may also want to watch:
The full list of candidates is set to be announced on Monday.
Once the new Boleyn ward representative is elected, it will bring the number of councillors in Newham back up to 60.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation