Boleyn by-election: Just days left for aspiring councillors to get involved
- Credit: Archant
Aspiring councillors have until Friday to submit their nomination papers for the Boleyn ward by-election.
The vote, which will take place on Thursday, November 1, was triggered after Cllr Veronica Oakeshott handed in her resignation last month.
She had represented the ward for three years and will be moving to Oxfordshire “for family reasons”
Anyone who wishes to stand as a potential replacement, whether as an independent candidate or on behalf of a political group, must deliver their nomination papers to East Ham Town Hall by 4pm on Friday.
The Conservatives have already announced Fazlul Karim as their candidate, but other parties have not yet revealed their nominees.
You may also want to watch:
The full list of candidates is set to be announced on Monday.
Once the new Boleyn ward representative is elected, it will bring the number of councillors in Newham back up to 60.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 4 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas