Cllr Rachel Tripp resigns as Newham Council cabinet member
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Rachel Tripp is to stand down from her position as a cabinet member on Newham Council, saying she has been “unhappy for some time” about its direction of travel.
The Forest Gate North ward councillor was appointed as cabinet member for equalities in May last year and in February, transformation and the small business programme were added to her portfolio.
She informed the mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, of her decision this week.
She said: “As Robin knows, I have been unhappy for some time about our direction of travel as a council on specific issues. Despite the fact that I have hugely enjoyed my cabinet work in both equalities and the small business programme, I have decided to stand down.
“I remain fully committed to working as a local councillor in the very best interests of the residents and everyone else in the wonderful place that is Forest Gate North as well as wider Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
Sir Robin said of the decision: “Rachel is an outstanding councillor who has made a huge contribution in cabinet and as a local advocate of Forest Gate North.
“I am genuinely sorry that Rachel has decided to stand down and hope she will reconsider that decision in the future.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
An announcement on what will happen to Cllr Tripp’s portfolio will be made in due course.