Leisure centre to remain shut due to ‘serious water leak’ in ceiling
- Credit: Archant
A gym which has been closed for six months due to “very serious structural problems” will remain shut after a “serious water leak” was found in the roof.
Newham Council closed the Balaam Leisure in Plaistow without warning on January 7 for safety reasons.
Now a spokesman has said the building would have to remain shut "following the discovery of a serious water leak into the concrete slab which forms the roof of the gym".
He added: "The structure has undergone specialist testing and the results are currently being evaluated.
"Steps have been taken to protect the site from unauthorised access, but this is solely for security purposes. No decision about the future of the centre has been taken."
You may also want to watch:
ActiveNewham has contacted members affected by the closure and offered to freeze their direct debits. Balaam members can also use the facilities at Atherton, East Ham and Newham Leisure Centres free of charge.
Balaam, along with Newham Leisure Centre in Prince Regent Lane, benefited from a £1.6 million refurbishment in early 2018. It is unknown how long their have been structural problems with the building.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Tracey Emin sculpture unveiled at The Line art trail in Three Mills