Council announces public meetings about future of Balaam Leisure Centre
- Credit: Archant
Residents can have their say on the future of Balaam Leisure Centre in Plaistow at two public meetings hosted by the council.
The meetings will both be held at Plaistow library on Thursday, November 7 from 10.30am to noon and on Tuesday, November 19, from 6.30pm to 8pm.
They are part of the council's ongoing consultation on plans for the building.
Balaam Leisure Centre has been closed since December last year following the discovery of a serious water leak through the concrete pool tank, which also forms the ceiling of the basement gym.
This made the structure unsafe and the council was forced to close the centre.
You may also want to watch:
Four options for its future use have been proposed - three of which are interim measures until 2028/29, as the location has been earmarked for housing development in the council's local plan.
After the consultation closes on November 27, responses will be analysed and a recommendation made to cabinet for a decision in February 2020.
Visit www.newham.gov.uk/balaam to register your interest in attending the meetings.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property