Ambushed! Newham councillor finds himself the target of parking anger
The Town Hall has responded to YouTube footage which shows Newham councillor Ian Corbett being ambushed on his way to having his hair cut.
Business owners demanded Cllr Corbett, who represents East Ham Central and is executive member for Environment and Infrastructure, join a meeting about parking penalties.
They were meeting outside Discount Warehouse in Romford Road and spotted him walking by. Some pursued Cllr Corbett, asking him to attend the meeting, following him to the door of the barbers on February 18.
It shows Cllr Corbett telling Saroja De Silva March, owner of the Discount Warehouse, to leave the hairdressers he was inside.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “Cllr Corbett was pursued whilst out shopping by a group of protesters, some of whom were clearly aggressive towards him. A number of these protesters were evidently from outside of Newham and have recently been involved in confronting our enforcement officers.
You may also want to watch:
“Cllr Corbett did not confront the protesters and went to have a haircut where they continued to pursue him.
“He is always happy to listen to the views of local residents as he has done in his 22 years as a councillor, as long as they are put to him in a reasonable fashion.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection