Lister Community School hosts London talent show final
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters really were singing when they were winning as they gathered at Lister Community School for the grand final of a charity talent show.
Hosted by youth and education charity City Year UK, contestants battled through preliminary and semi-final rounds to reach last week’s showpiece.
Featuring primary and secondary school pupils from six London boroughs, the show was won by Shacklewell Primary School, Hackney pupil Evelyn Shlomowitz, 10, who played the violin and French horn.
They were supported in preparing for the final by City Year UK volunteers who spend a year working in schools to support pupils as mentors.
Selasie Smith, events leader at City Year UK, said: “It is really exciting to be able to bring together so many young, talented students from the London schools City Year UK works with.
You may also want to watch:
“Being part of the talent show helps these students build their confidence and self-esteem, a vital part of our mission to support children to succeed at school, whatever their background.
“City Year UK aims to improve academic attainment through mentoring and tutoring, but enjoying school through extra-curricular activities such as City Year’s Got Talent also plays an important part.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding