Lister Community School hosts London talent show final
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters really were singing when they were winning as they gathered at Lister Community School for the grand final of a charity talent show.
Hosted by youth and education charity City Year UK, contestants battled through preliminary and semi-final rounds to reach last week’s showpiece.
Featuring primary and secondary school pupils from six London boroughs, the show was won by Shacklewell Primary School, Hackney pupil Evelyn Shlomowitz, 10, who played the violin and French horn.
They were supported in preparing for the final by City Year UK volunteers who spend a year working in schools to support pupils as mentors.
Selasie Smith, events leader at City Year UK, said: “It is really exciting to be able to bring together so many young, talented students from the London schools City Year UK works with.
You may also want to watch:
“Being part of the talent show helps these students build their confidence and self-esteem, a vital part of our mission to support children to succeed at school, whatever their background.
“City Year UK aims to improve academic attainment through mentoring and tutoring, but enjoying school through extra-curricular activities such as City Year’s Got Talent also plays an important part.”
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 6 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park