Lisbie doubles up to lift Orient

Kevin Lisbie was Orient's hero once again at Prenton Park (Pic: Simon O'Connor)

Kevin Lisbie was Orient's hero once again at Prenton Park (Pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

League One: Tranmere 0 Leyton Orient 4

Kevin Lisbie struck in each half as Orient extended their unbeaten start to the season to 12 matches with another impressive away display at Prenton Park.

The veteran striker took his tally for the campaign to 11, before Dean Cox and substitute Shaun Batt added some late gloss.

And victory over a Tranmere side still searching for their first home win of the season allowed Russell Slade’s men to maintain their one-point lead over rivals Peterborough at the top of the table.

Lisbie had recovered from a dead leg sustained during his matchwinning heroics against MK Dons a week earlier to start, while Elliot Omozusi passed a fitness test on his groin.

The first chance of note came on seven minutes and it was a great one for the visitors to take the lead as Cox and Moses Odubajo combined, before the young wing-back dragged his shot wide.

O’s were frustrated when referee Richard Clark called play back for a free-kick as Lisbie looked to make the most of Romain Vincelot’s through ball.

Most Read

But they had a let-off on 17 minutes when Ryan Lowe got free to meet a Max Power corner, but sliced his effort.

The visitors broke the deadlock midway through the first half, when Lloyd James picked the ball up 40 yards out and surged to the byline before pulling the ball back for Lisbie to drive home.

But they had Jamie Jones to thank moments later as the keeper pushed centre-back Ash Taylor’s header onto a post.

O’s hit the woodwork themselves five minutes before the break as Mathieu Baudry headed Nathan Clarke’s cross against the right-hand post.

And they went close to a second again just two minutes after the restart as Cox squared Vincelot’s pass across goal and David Mooney was inches away from turning it home.

Jones was called upon to save from Chris Atkinson on 52 minutes, before Frenchman Baudry had his name taken.

But O’s doubled their lead just past the hour mark when Lisbie turned Cox’s shot past Owen Fon Williams in the home goal with a clever finish.

And the visitors thought they had added a third soon after, when Ian Goodison was sent off for lashing out at Lisbie – receiving the seventh red card of his career – and conceded a penalty.

Mooney saw his spot-kick come back off a post before converting the rebound, but referee Clark disallowed the effort after consulting with his linesman.

Lisbie made way for Batt and Cox made it 3-0 on 78 minutes after more good work by James.

And Batt claimed his seventh goal of the campaign with five minutes remaining, slipping home after great work from fellow sub Yohann Lasimant to complete another great day’s work for O’s.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Hateley (Sodje 62), Lowe, Atkinson, Kirby, Power, McNulty, Ridehalgh (Bell-Baggie 62).

Unused subs: Horwood, Rowe, Stockton, Koumas, Watkins.

Orient: Jones, Omozusi, Vincelot, Cuthbert, Baudry, Cox, James, Lisbie (Batt 72), Mooney (Stockley 85), Odubajo (Lasimant 81), Clarke.

Subs: Sawyer, Larkins, Gorman, Bartley.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter