Lift off for �20m sports centre in the Royals
UEL to welcome USA Olympic team in 2012
WORK today began on a �20m ’super’ sports centre at UEL’s Docklands Campus.
It will open in 2012 in time to host Team USA as its main training base for their Olympic athletes.
State-of-the-art facilities will include a gym and fitness suite, large indoor arena, ten badmington courts, two competition basketball courts and five-a-side football pitches. It will also boast covered seating for 400 people.
More than a thousand sports men and women, coaches, scientists, medical and support staff are expected to use the centre.
You may also want to watch:
After the Games local sports clubs and communities are likely to use the centre.
David Cosford, the university’s Sport Director, said: “it is exciting to see work commence. When it opens it will put us at the forefront of sport in Higher Education and serve as a flagship facility for both the university and local community.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines