Lift off for �20m sports centre in the Royals
UEL to welcome USA Olympic team in 2012
WORK today began on a �20m ’super’ sports centre at UEL’s Docklands Campus.
It will open in 2012 in time to host Team USA as its main training base for their Olympic athletes.
State-of-the-art facilities will include a gym and fitness suite, large indoor arena, ten badmington courts, two competition basketball courts and five-a-side football pitches. It will also boast covered seating for 400 people.
More than a thousand sports men and women, coaches, scientists, medical and support staff are expected to use the centre.
You may also want to watch:
After the Games local sports clubs and communities are likely to use the centre.
David Cosford, the university’s Sport Director, said: “it is exciting to see work commence. When it opens it will put us at the forefront of sport in Higher Education and serve as a flagship facility for both the university and local community.”
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election