Life-president Community Links Kevin Jenkins is a huge East London Radio fan
- Credit: Archant
East London Radio, “Our best kept secret radio station” – their words not mine – was founded in 2013 as a not-for-profit social enterprise and is entirely run by volunteers, it has already given hundreds of east Londoners the chance to learn about and make local radio.
ELR’s mission is to give east London a voice – giving all people from all communities the opportunity to learn how to make radio and get their voices heard.
ELR fills a big void, there are many good small stations for particular communities, but not one that is bringing everybody together.
Every day ELR provides a full and comprehensive news service for east London to counteract the national news who only cover the negative news in east London about murders etc.
Broadcasting on the internet – including free mobile apps – ELR is well placed for the future as digital listing excels the old analogue AM and FM.
ELR offers a mixture of talk, news and music.
A new project is due to start in February, which will offer Newham people who are not in employment or training the opportunity of learning about and making radio programmes from ELR premises in Custom House.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
Further details about ELR can be found ateastlondonradio.org.uk or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
I would encourage you to support and contribute to this excellent local initiative giving east Londoners a voice.