Life during WWII revealed in East Ham in major showcase
AN exciting new project encouraging youngsters to discover from older residents about life during the war-time 1940s is hosted at the Hartley Centre in East Ham this Saturday from 1-7pm.
The free Exhibiting Our Times event at 267 Barking Road brings the past and present together with a host of activities and displays with members from the centre’s youth project on hand to act as stewards and provide useful snippets of historical information to visitors.
Moves from the era will be brought to life by the Deborah Day Dance School. Football fans will have the opportunity to experience how the ‘beautiful game’ was played back in the era. Also showcased will be the experience of black and Asian people during the war, pictures, films and costumes on display as well as uniformed RAF officers offering career advice.
Budding actors will be able to hone their vocal skills for the wireless audience by getting involved with a radio drama with the results broadcast online via Break FM.
Also on display will be artefacts including gasmasks and ration books, as well as copies of County Borough’s Books of Remembrance from World War II while the exhibition will chart the history of local families with residents able to research their family tree along with expert advice available to those who want to become online family sleuths.
You may also want to watch:
The project is being run through a partnership between Newham Council, APE media, and the Hartley Centre.
The project goes on borough-wide display in the New Year.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 4 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas