Boleyn by-election: Liberal Democrats name Arunasalam Pirapaharan as candidate
- Credit: Newham Lib Dems
The Liberal Democrats have announced their candidate for the Boleyn ward by-election.
Arunasalam Pirapaharan will be representing the party on the ballot paper on November 1.
He is a governor of Langdon Academy in East Ham and volunteers with housing and immigration support organisations in the borough.
If elected, his priorities would be tackling fly-tipping and improving street cleaning, revising parking regulations and working with schools to improve the wellbeing of young people.
Mr Pirapaharan has previously stood as a Lib Dem candidate in the May 2014 council elections, where he contested the Wall End ward.
You may also want to watch:
The by-election was triggered after Veronica Oakeshott, a Labour councillor in Boleyn for three years, announced her resignation. She will be moving out of the area to be closer to family.
Anyone who wants to stand in the by-election has until tomorrow (Friday) to submit their nomination papers.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money