Liam Woodards killing at Westfield Stratford City: Man faces trial for murder
Fourteen suspects accused of involvement in a fatal stabbing at Westfield Stratford City next door to the Olympic Park appeared at the Old Bailey.
Liam Woodards, 24, was knifed to death during a fight just weeks before the 2012 Games on June 29.
He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics after he was involved in a clash in The Street area of the centre at around 4.25pm.
A postmortem gave the cause of death as a stab wound.
Nii-Azu Kojo-Smith, 18, of Hackney, is accused of murder while the remaining 13 suspects face charges of violent disorder.
You may also want to watch:
A murder charge against Riaz Anderson, 19, from Walthamstow, has been dropped.
Kojo-Smith and Anderson appeared via videolink along with Emmaneul Oloyede, 19, of Tilbury, Essex, Michael Ndefo, 22, of Raymond Road, Plaistow, and a 17-year-old from Plaistow for a brief hearing, while Danny Caton, 24, of Paul,Street, Stratford, stood in the dock.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
They spoke only to confirm their names.
They, along with the other eight defendants, will appear for a further hearing on December 19.
The suspects will go before the court in two separate trials, the first of which will include Kojo-Smith and is due to begin on February 25 next year.
Also charged is Tony Caton, 21, of Paul Street, Stratford, Michael Alvaranga, 24, of Leytonstone, Javin Rigabie, 23, of Chobham Road, Stratford, Travis Townsend, 20, of Hither Green, south-east London; Jerome McLeish, 20, of New Addington, south London; Tristan Mullings, 20, of Holloway, north London; Rhys Regisford, 20, of Hyde Close, Plaistow, and Jason Vaughan, 24, of Govier Close, West Ham.
All have yet to enter pleas.