Leyton Orient in seventh hell as Oldham inflict defeat

League One: Leyton Orient 1 Oldham 3 - Trevor Davies reports from Brisbane Road

Three second-half goals saw Orient surrender a half-time lead and go crashing to their seventh defeat of the season.

Young George Porter had given the Os hope of claiming their first league win of the campaign with a goal on 18 minutes.

But Oldham, dangerous throughout, struck after the break as goals from Shefki Kuqi, Reuben Reid and substitute Matt Smith left Orient rooted to the foot of the table.

After nine games without a win and with just two points on the board, the pressure is starting to mount on manager Russell Slade who admitted afterwards: “In the second period the three goals we conceded were very disappointed. They were avoidable, that’s the point.”

It was Orient who could have taken the lead on three minutes when Charlie Daniels sent in a corner from the right and Tom Clarke headed wide from five yards.

But Os played some neat football and Porter caused Oldham problems down the right and it was the teenager, making his first league start, who gave Os the lead.

Most Read

He raced onto David Mooney’s threaded pass and fired across Alex Cisak into the corner of the net.

The home side were enjoying their best spell, but failed to cash in with a second goal.

The ball wouldn’t drop quickly enough for Mooney after Charlie Daniels played the ball into him and he ended up lobbing an effort into the keeper’s arms.

Oldham should have levelled when the powerful Kuqi headed wastefully wide at the far post, while at the other end Jimmy Smith, Dean Cox and Clarke all had shots as Orient threatened to stretch their advantage.

But Os started to look nervous the longer the half went on and although Cox had another good chance after Clarke sent him clear, the home side were living dangerously.

Mooney could have added a second, but it was Oldham who should have levelled before the break when Robbie Simpson headed wide from close range.

Os had a good chance at the start of the second half when Matt Spring burst clear, but tried his luck from 20 yards when Cox and Mooney were well place.

From the goal-kick Oldham levelled when Robbie Simpson flicked the ball on and Kuqi burst through the heart of the home defence and fired home on 48 minutes.

The visitors then went ahead 20 minutes after the restart following some more poor defending.

This time Kuqi provided the cross and Reid headed home unmarked from close range.

Os should have levelled five minutes later when Cox whipped in a cross from the left and Mooney flashed a header wide from five yards.

The same player went close to a leveller with another header, but as Os pressed they were caught out at the back as Oldham grabbed a third.

The impressive Kuqi held off a challenge and then sent substitute Matt Smith racing clear to slot home a killer strike.

Orient: Alnwick, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels, Spring (Odubajo 78 mins), Clarke, Smith, Cox, Mooney, Porter. Subs: Butcher, McSweeney, Laird, Lobjoit.

Orient bookings Forbes (50 mins foul)

Oldham Athletic: Cisak, M’voto, Wesolowski, Clarke, Reid (Morais 76 mins), Simpson (Simpson 86 mins), Adeyemi, Taylor, Lee, Mellor (Diamond 32 mins), Kuqi. Subs: Gerrard, Winchester.

Oldham bookings N Clarke (71 mins foul)

Referee: Roger East

Attendance: 3,699 (inc 314 Oldham fans)