Leyton Orient end year in style with big win at Yeovil

O's Chris Dagnall scores and celebrates the opening goal at Yeovil. Pic: Simon O'Connor

O's Chris Dagnall scores and celebrates the opening goal at Yeovil. Pic: Simon O'Connor - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

League One: Yeovil Town 0 Leyton Orient 3

Leyton Orient ended the year on a high with a vital 3-0 victory at fellow strugglers Yeovil Town as they recorded back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.

In-form Chris Dagnall broke the deadlock in the first half before Kevin Lisbie’s return proved to be a profitable one as he tapped home a second at the midway stage of the second period.

And Dean Cox made sure of all three points when he netted his 50th goal for the club with five minutes to go.

Fabio Liverani made four changes from the side’s 4-1 win over Crawley Town on Boxing Day, with the big news seeing Lisbie return to the starting line-up following four months out with a dislocated shoulder.

He came in for the injured Shaun Batt, while Gary Woods, Gary Sawyer and Bradley Pritchard replaced Adam Legzdins, Andrea Dossena and Jobi McAnuff respectively.

The O’s dominated the early possession but chances were few and far between as both sides acclimatised to the frosty conditions at Huish Park.

Most Read

Simon Gillett had a long-range effort which was held by Woods, while the Glovers thought they had a 16th minute lead when Stephen Arthurworrey’s volley found the back of the net only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

Woods was then forced into action as he parried Ajay Leitch-Smith’s effort past the post, before then tipping over James Hayter’s header.

It took until the 26th minute until the O’s created an opportunity, but Pritchard scuffed an effort into the hands of Jed Steer following a good ball in from Sawyer.

But the O’s took the lead as Pritchard’s deep ball into the box was met by the head of the in-form Dagnall at the back post for his eighth goal of the season.

No changes were made at the break by either side and Arthurworrey missed a good opportunity to level just four minutes into the second period as he blazed over Sam Foley’s corner.

But Dagnall was denied a second when his flick-on from Sawyer’s long throw was cleared off the line by Ben Nugent.

And they went close once again as Pritchard’s effort was well saved by Steer, though they didn’t have to wait too much longer for to double their lead.

Cox had seen his shot well saved by Steer but Lisbie was quick to pounce on the rebound and he put Orient on course for back-to-back victories for the first time this season.

Yeovil, perhaps with their eyes on Saturday’s visit of Premier League side Manchester United in the FA Cup third round, caused little drama for Woods in the O’s goal, though Glovers substitute Josh Inniss just failed to get on the end of Nathan Smith’s dangerous ball in as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

And they made sure of all three points five minutes from time when substitute David Mooney cut the ball back for Cox who scored his 50th goal for the club from 18 yards.

The O’s saw out the remainder of the encounter comfortably as they moved up to 19th place in the League One table with the victory.

Yeovil Town: Steer, Twumasi, Arthurworrey, Nugent, N Smith, Edwards, Foley (Berrett 78), Gillett, Leitch-Smith (Ralph 58), Hayter (Inniss 78), Eaves.

Unused substitutes: Moloney, Brooks, A Smith, Krysiak.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Sawyer, Cuthbert, Lowry, Omozusi, Pritchard, Wright (Lee 88), Vincelot (Agyemang 90), Cox, Lisbie (Mooney 64), Dagnall

Unused substitutes: Baudry, Grainger, Adeboyejo, Dossena.

Attendance: 4,132 (217 Leyton Orient fans)