Leyton Orient back in League One relegation zone after Colchester defeat

Colchester's Gavin Massey (21) celebrates after opening the scoring against Leyton Orient (pic: Simo

Colchester's Gavin Massey (21) celebrates after opening the scoring against Leyton Orient (pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

League One:Colchester United 2 Leyton Orient 0

Leyton Orient moved back into the relegation zone as they slumped to a 2-0 loss at local rivals Colchester United.

Gavin Massey’s early strike put the U’s in front, before Kaspars Gorkss headed home a corner in the early stages of the second period.

Elliott Hewitt was shown a straight red card late on for the hosts, and despite some late pressure the U’s completed a league double over Orient.

O’s boss Fabio Liverani made four changes from the side which drew 1-1 at Preston North End, with loanees Ryan Hedges and Neal Eardley coming in for their debuts, while Dean Cox and Romain Vincelot returned from injury.

It was the hosts on the front foot early doors and Gary Woods was the first goalkeeper called into action when he did well to smother home debutant Chris Porter’s shot following a good run by Sammie Szmodics.

And the U’s took the lead when a ball in from the right wasn’t dealt with by the O’s and it fell to the onrushing Massey who thumped his effort from six yards past Woods.

Most Read

The visitors did pick up slightly after going behind and Hedges showed some lively touches and saw two efforts held by home goalkeeper Sam Walker.

But their best chance of the game came for David Mooney when a kind deflection saw the ball fall into his path, only for the former Colchester striker to fire wide.

Orient were certainly the more dominant side going forward as the half went on, but they couldn’t find the breakthrough as they went in at half time behind.

No changes were made at the break by either side, however, the hosts found themselves in front inside the first few minutes when an inswinging corner was met by Kaspars Gorkss and he headed home at the near post.

Two almost became three when Woods raced out of his area and completely missed the ball, and it was only a fine intervention from Clarke which prevented the U’s from putting the game beyond doubt.

It was an almost carbon copy of the first half as the O’s tried to find a way back into the game and Dean Cox saw a shot deflected behind for a corner with strong handball appeals waved awat

Orient forced several corners as the game went on, but again they were lacking the cutting edge in front of goal.

Liverani’s side thought they had a lifeline when Dagnall headed home a dinked cross from Cox, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Cox saw another effort blocked after Plasmati’s flick on following Gary Sawyer’s left-wing cross.

They received a further lifeline when Elliott Hewitt was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Vincelot.

Orient piled on the pressure and Lundstram was denied smartly by Walker at the near post, though time was running out.

Vincelot headed straight into the arms of Walker and that was the O’s last chance as they fell to another defeat.

Colchester United: Walker, Gorkss, Briggs, Eastman, Clohessy, Massey (Gordon 86), Szmodics (Moncur 84), Lapslie, Hewitt, Porter (Bonne 90+3)

Unused substitutes: Lewington, Watt, Marriott, Sembie-Ferris.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Sawyer (Dossena 89), Lowry, Clarke, Eardley, Cox, Vincelot, Lundstram, Hedges (Pritchard 86), Mooney (Plasmati 64), Dagnall.

Unused substitutes: Omozusi, Lee, Wright, Grainger.

Attendance: 5,668 (1,777 Leyton Orient fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter