Leaving Europe would be suicide, says Nick Clegg during Beckton visit
- Credit: Archant
Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister, used a visit to a Beckton firm to talk about Britain’s place in Europe.
Mr Clegg was vsiting Buhler Sortex Limited yesterday, in Beckton where he delivered a speech on Britain and Europe “In Europe for the National Interest” to an audience of invited business leaders.
He said: “Leaving the EU would be economic suicide. You cannot overstate teh damage it would do to British livelihoods and prosperity.
“Three millin jobs are linked to the Single Market- three million. As a member we are part of the world’s biggest borderless market place, made up of 500 million people. It’s now the largest economy in the world - ahead of the United States - and it’s where we do around half of all our trade.”
The Buhler Sortex is a division of The Bühler Group and a global leader in optical sorting solutions and was recommended to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister by EEF (formerly the Engineering Employers’ Federation) as an excellent example of a modern manufacturing facility.
You may also want to watch:
Hamid Kefayati, Managing Director of Buhler Sortex Limited, said: “We are extremely appreciative of the recognition from the Cabinet Office as a leading example of modern, hi-tech manufacturing and were delighted to host Mr. Clegg and the audience of business leaders.”
During his visit, Mr. Clegg met a group of young Buhler apprentices and took a tour of the manufacturing facilities.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
Established in east London in 1947, Buhler Sortex is a leading global supplier of optical sorting solutions to the food and non-food processing industries and has been at the forefront of optical sorting technology for over 65 years.