Leaving Europe would be suicide, says Nick Clegg during Beckton visit
- Credit: Archant
Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister, used a visit to a Beckton firm to talk about Britain’s place in Europe.
Mr Clegg was vsiting Buhler Sortex Limited yesterday, in Beckton where he delivered a speech on Britain and Europe “In Europe for the National Interest” to an audience of invited business leaders.
He said: “Leaving the EU would be economic suicide. You cannot overstate teh damage it would do to British livelihoods and prosperity.
“Three millin jobs are linked to the Single Market- three million. As a member we are part of the world’s biggest borderless market place, made up of 500 million people. It’s now the largest economy in the world - ahead of the United States - and it’s where we do around half of all our trade.”
The Buhler Sortex is a division of The Bühler Group and a global leader in optical sorting solutions and was recommended to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister by EEF (formerly the Engineering Employers’ Federation) as an excellent example of a modern manufacturing facility.
You may also want to watch:
Hamid Kefayati, Managing Director of Buhler Sortex Limited, said: “We are extremely appreciative of the recognition from the Cabinet Office as a leading example of modern, hi-tech manufacturing and were delighted to host Mr. Clegg and the audience of business leaders.”
During his visit, Mr. Clegg met a group of young Buhler apprentices and took a tour of the manufacturing facilities.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Established in east London in 1947, Buhler Sortex is a leading global supplier of optical sorting solutions to the food and non-food processing industries and has been at the forefront of optical sorting technology for over 65 years.