Late hours for Plaistow takeaway despite stabbing
- Credit: Archant
A kebab shop where a member of staff knifed a customer will continue to stay open into the early hours.
The owners of Eastern Delight, Barking Road, Plaistow, successfully applied for a new late night refreshment licence at Newham Town Hall on Friday – despite a former employee landing a jail term for committing grievous bodily harm on a customer.
Asan Enver, 29, was jailed for eight years and eight months on October 30.
A statment to the council last week from Pc Sanj Padda said: “The venue was clearly beyond their licensed trading hours and having closing hours of 5am would cause concerns.”
The licence had expired in 2011, meaning the kebab shop was not legally allowed to sell refreshments or hot food after 11pm – something that only came to light after the stabbing.
You may also want to watch:
Brothers Ali and Muhammet Delidogan, who have run the premises for 15 years, agreed to reduce their desired opening hours from 5am to 3am on Fridays and Saturdays, and until 2am for the rest of the week.
“I’m absolutely delighted,” said Ali.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
“We have our licence back thanks to our adviser, we achieved what we wanted.
Speaking on their behalf, consultant Graham Hopkins said the stabbing was carried out by a casual worker on his first shift.
“My clients had nothing to do with it, they never had any issues [before this] in 15 years of trading.”